A mosque open house is an effective way to open the channels of communication
between the Muslim community and people of other faiths. By inviting others
inside the mosque, the Muslim community help dispel much of the mystery that
surrounds their faith and offers others the opportunity to talk and meet with
Muslims on a more personal level.
How to Arrange a Mosque Open House:
Talk to your local community about the importance of building relationships with
people of other faiths and projecting a positive image of Islam and Muslims.
- Recruit volunteers that can help plan an event that will showcase the true
essence of Islam.
- Invite community leaders to the mosque, making sure to include religious
leaders, community activists and government officials. Send personal letters
of invitations and follow up with phone calls. Invite the residents who live
near the mosque as well.
- Publicize the event in the local newspapers through media advisories.
- Inform your guests about the proper etiquette when visiting a mosque. Most
people do not intend to be disrespectful so prevent potential embarrassing
situations by educating them about the rules of the mosque beforehand. For
example, explain to them that the mode of dress for the event should be
modest. Explain to them the essentials of prayer and stress the solemnity of
- Cleanliness is half of your faith so make sure the mosque is clean. Walls,
floors, carpets, and bathrooms should be spotless. Mosque administrators can
organize a “Mosque Clean up Day” prior to the event to assure everything is in
- Set up a reception area where guests can be welcomed and served
refreshments. Have greeters at the door to receive guests and direct them to
the appropriate area.
- Literature that is made available should be carefully selected to
represent what lies at the heart of Islam: peace and one's relationship with
God. Avoid political literature.
- Assign appropriate greeters and hosts, choosing people who have outgoing
personalities and know how to interact with people of other faiths. Make sure
all guests are warmly received and given name tags.
- Post helpful signs indicating the different entrances to prayer all, if
- Most importantly, pray for greater understanding through this endeavor.
This articles was
copied from :